Monday, July 5, 2010

Grease is the word...

Greasers, Hot Rods, Pin-Ups, "Sandra Dee's", and pretty much whatever else comes to mind when thinking of the 50's was depicted in the movie Grease.  My favorite part of course, is the fashion, especially because it was a time in history when a woman's curves were truly appreciated!


Sunday, I really wanted to take advantage of one of the few days where the store is actually closed, and  take a real day off...so what did I do?  I laid in bed and watched TV and it was great.  (Let's be serious though, I still did some work, figures)

The highlight of my day was watching Grease.  Love that movie, and I love to sing along! I was even more excited when I learned about the re-release, Grease Sing Along.  Yup you heard that right.  If you want to learn more including days, times and to purchase tickets visit the website GreaseMovie

Now onto the clothes.  While I was watching and admiring what everyone was wearing (it's definitely one of my favorite decades) I started thinking about the merchandise I had in the store inspired by this time.  Then my mind continued to wander about how I would style some of those pieces to give them a modern twist.  I always love mixing the old with the new.  Last stop is sharing it with you...

Check out this dress from Burlapp.  This is a new label I just brought in for Spring, they have great dresses, at great prices.  (This one sells for $154.)  What I love about this piece in particular is how it has vintage silhouette, one that is pretty much universally flattering too, with an oversize floral print that is a must have this spring.  (We have a polka dot version too, if flowers aren't your thing) 



OK, let me first say that this mannequin does these outfits no justice...she is not realistically proportionate, and she doesn't have any legs...I know...I'm getting a better one this week :)

From left to right:

This is a simple outfit, that can be throw together in minutes...and you instantly look fabulous!  Great for a night out on the town, or a day in the office.  Change out accessories to easily alter the look.  Swap the belt for a bright color to add some pizazz...or a leather clutch to add sophistication.

Looks best with a almond toe pump or a peep toe. 

High Waisted Pencil skirt: $39
Top by Michael Stars: $40
Genuine Leather Waist Belt by Elise M: $38
Polka Dot Clutch by French Connection $98

I love this dress for a number of reason.  First is the shape.  Look how that band across the middle just accentuates the narrowest part, and the skirt and shoulder give it a great hourglass shape.  It also has a surprise in the back ;)

Dress by Industry: $82

Last, but certainly not least is the high-waisted short.  I love these in particular because they are a bit longer, which is great for us adults...and the self belt is super jazzy with the metal details.  Can easily work for day with a simple tank and flats...but also works for a night out.  Follow the same shoe rules as above.

Shorts by Industry: $89
Tank by Michael Stars: $49

Come on into the store to find other pieces to express your inner pin up girl.  And don't forget your red lipstick!

xoxo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment